Italian Cheesy Mashed Potato Fritters
Cheesy mashed potato fritters are the BEST use of leftover mashed potatoes! They are incredibly easy to make and you will love their crispy edges and cheesy, gooey centre.. A perfect side dish or snack, and a great way to use up leftovers.
- 750g/3 cups leftover mashed potatoes, chilled
- 200g/3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons scallions/spring onion, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 75g/1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- Salt & pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying, as needed
- Mascarpone and chopped chives, for serving
In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, cheese, scallions, eggs, and 3 tablespoons flour, and salt and pepper, and mix until combined.
Divide mixture into 12 portions. Roll each into a ball and then flatten into a 1/2-inch thick pancake.
Place remaining flour in a shallow dish and dredge each pancake lightly in flour.
Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a large pan over medium-heat.
Once oil is hot, fry fritters in batches until golden brown and crispy on each side, about 3 minutes per side. Work in batches – don’t overcrowd pan. Add more oil as needed between batches.
Remove cooked fritters to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with salt. Serve topped with mascarpone and chives.