Italian Lentil Soup
This hearty Italian lentil soup recipe is easy to make, full of goodness and with the best Italian flavours!
- 400g/2 cups lentils (brown or green) rinsed
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 carrots finely diced
- 2 stalks celery finely diced
- 500g/2 cups crushed tomatoes/passata
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1L/4 cups stock vegetable or chicken
- ½ tsp thyme dried
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp parsley for topping
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese for topping
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Lower the heat to medium, add the onions, carrots and celery and saute for about 10 minutes until soft.
Add the tomato puree and crushed tomatoes, lentils and stock. Then add the bay leaf, thyme, basil and season with salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, cover slightly, lower heat and simmer for approximately 30-40 minutes or until lentils are soft. Taste and adjust seasonings. Remove bay leaf.
Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and garnish with chopped parsley and parmesan cheese.